A mix of grandiose and simple, this neoclassical basilica named for the patron saint of Tenerife, the Virgin of Candelaria, stands on the spot where according to legend the image of the virgin was found by the aboriginal Guanches in 1390. Destroyed and rebuilt several times, it's managed to survive wars, conquests, fires, and sacking. The most recent reconstruction took place in 1948, giving it a distinctly Canarian look. Today it is widely beloved among island residents. Each February 2 and August 15 the faithful show up in force to honour the Virgin.