Carry-on baggageAny questions?
FAQs regarding Carry-on baggage
How can I check the size of my hand baggage?
In the airport check-in area there are gauges (Iberia's or the airport) where you can check if your hand baggage complies with the rules established to allow you to take it with you in the cabin.
If it does not comply with the rules, it must be checked in.
What items are considered hazardous?
For security reasons and depending on the nature of the objects, there are some items which may not be carried in hand luggage, on your person and some may not even be allowed for check-in as hold baggage.
Please remember that you must check the list of Hazardous Items before travelling.
Can I take liquids in my hand baggage?
According to current regulations, (Regulation 1546/2006 of the European Union), there are limitations on liquids and similar substances that can be carried in hand luggage in the cabin for all customers leaving any airport in the European Union, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, Brazil, USA and South Africa.
As an exception, every passenger can carry small amounts of liquids or creams or similar products in their luggage in 100 ml. containers, which must be carried in a transparent plastic bag with adhesive or zip closure with a capacity not exceeding 1 litre and which must be presented separately from the hand luggage in security controls.
The following are exempt from this restriction:
- Anybody travelling with babies may also carry baby milk or juice.
- Wherever necessary, it is possible to take dietetic products, medication (liquid, gel or aerosol), insulin, and other necessary medicines in a sufficient quantity for the trip, which must be certified at the security controls.
- All articles purchased by the passengers in the community airport shops, in the areas accessible only to passengers, or on board the planes of airlines of the European Union.
These limitations do not apply if the liquids travel in the hold in checked in luggage, although we recommend not to carry fragile or glass objects to avoid accidents (perishable and fragile articles travel under the customer's responsibility).
What can I take in my hand luggage?
The allowance permitted will vary depending on the class you are travelling in, the origin and destination. In general, the piece of hand luggage admitted on board cannot exceed 56cm x 45cm x 25cm. and must be light enough to be placed in the overhead compartment in the airplane cabin.
As well as the applicable allowance, you may also carry some other personal item free of charge.
For further information, please consult Hand luggage
Please remember that, for security reasons, objects such as scissors, knives and all sharp items should be checked-in as hold baggage and never carried in hand luggage.
For further information, please consult Hazardous Items
Other security measures applicable under the hand baggage regulations
- The size of hand luggage will be limited. This must comply with IATA standards (56cm x 45cm x 25cm). In all other cases, once at the airport security checkpoints passengers will be made to return to the check-in desks and check in their luggage.
- Passengers must remove jackets and coats and put them through the X-ray equipment at the security checkpoint separately from the hand luggage, while the passenger passes through the metal-detector arch.
- Laptop computers and other large, electrical or electronic equipment must be taken out of the cabin baggage and put through the X-ray equipment at the security checkpoint separately from the hand luggage.
How much hand luggage can I take on an IB5XXX flight operated by Vueling?
You should bear in mind that you will only be able to take 1 piece not measuring more than 55x40x20 cm (height x width x length), which must also fit into the measuring device placed at the airports.
You may in addition take another accessory, whose dimensions are substantially less than 55x40x20 cm, such as a small case or women's handbag or a camera or video bag.
At the boarding gate, any hand luggage (or accessory) that does not comply with this regulation, in other words, that exceeds the amount and/or measurements shown above, will be removed and stowed in the aircraft hold at an additional cost of twenty (20) Euros.
IB5000 passengers connecting with another Iberia flight and travelling in Long-Haul Business Plus can travel with the 2 pieces of hand luggage set out in the fare.
Am I allowed to carry ashes of a deceased person in an urn onboard as hand luggage?
Iberia permits the transportation of ashes or cremated human remains as hand luggage, in a suitable funeral urn, duly covered and discreetly kept out of sight, and with theft-proof covering.
You will be asked to provide the suitable death and cremation certificates, and they may be required at the airport of origin. Please remember to bring them with you.
When ashes are transported from one country to another it is advisable to contact the Consulate of the country of destination regarding possible requirements by the local authorities.