We use our own and third party cookies to improve your experience and our services. If you continue, we consider that you accept their use. You can get more information on our website at cookies policy.


MinorsAny questions?

What documents does a minor need to travel?

Check all the requirement you must meet when travelling with children and babies, considering their age and destination

All passengers aged 14 or over should travel with a National Identification Document or passport.

Children under 14 do not have to have one but travelling with one will avoid having to prove their identity in a different fashion.

Minors travelling with their parents

Domestic Flights

If you are travelling with your children under 14 without a National Identification Document, you may be asked to show your Family Record Book.

International flights (European and third countries)

All minors should present their own National Identification Document or passport and also meet the requirements of the destination country.

If the person who accompanies the minor is not one of his/her parents

Domestic Flights

Children under 14 without a National Identification Document or passport may be asked to show one of these documents:

  • Accreditation from a notary public with the personal details of the minor and a photograph, and which includes the authorisation of the father, mother or guardian for the minor to travel.
  • Authorisation formalised in a Police Office: Via the personal appearance of the father, mother or guardian, on behalf of the person who has custody of the minor during the trip, and which shall be compared at all times with that person’s National Identification Document or passport.

International flights (European and third countries)

All minors should present their own National Identification Document or passport and also meet the requirements of the destination country.

Special cases

Departures from Spanish domestic airports

Entry through to the boarding area is permitted to guardians or family members of minors under 14 who are travelling alone for departures from domestic airports (in Spain). Please ask for a Companions’ Card at the Iberia check-in desk. They will only be allowed access to accompany the minor to the boarding gate on the day and time of the flight. The adult companion should carry his/her valid passport or DNI to be able to access the border control together with the minor.

Identification on international flights

On international flights (European and Other Countries), as there is no standardised regulation, all minors (travelling accompanied or unaccompanied, regardless of their age) must present their own document, DNI or Passport, in addition to complying with the requirements of the destination country.
If they travel alone and do not have a Passport, the DNI must be accompanied by a Parent or Guardian Authorisation formalised in a Police Department.

Flights to Mexico

All minors who travel to/from Mexico alone or accompanied by a third person who is not either of their parents or their legal guardian, should present a document signed by both parents or the parent who has custody or the person who has guardianship, before a notary public or pertinent authority, where it states that the child is allowed to leave the national territory. When it is a document granted abroad, it should be authorised or apostilled, depending on the case, with a translation (if in a language other than Spanish). In the specific case of Spain, the Police have an authorisation document for these cases.

Flights within the United States

Within the territory of the United States children up to 14 years of age are considered minors and they must fly with an accompaniment service.

Return to top

Can one adult travel with two babies?

Aircraft safety regulations require that if an adult passenger wants to travel with two babies (children under 2 years), they will have to bring along a standard child car seat for one of the babies to travel in. The car seat will be fitted to the seat next to the adult passenger's seat.

The other baby will travel on the adult passenger's knee with the additional seatbelt which will be provided by the crew as has been normal practice until now.

The fare applicable to the baby in the car seat will be the same as that of a child between the ages of 2 and 11 years of age.

Return to top

Who is considered as a Child?

These are minors aged between two and eleven years of age. These passengers occupy a seat on the aircraft and the same luggage allowance as adult passengers.

Return to top

What is understood by a minor?

For the purposes of air transport, a minor is a person who has not reached their 18th birthday on the day of the flight.

Return to top

What are the requirements for a child travelling alone?

Due to the special characteristics of these passengers, and for safety reasons, they may travel unaccompanied as long as they meet the following requirements:

  • Aged between 5 and 11.
    This service is mandatory for children in this age group who are travelling alone. Starting from 12 years old, the child is considered an adult for us and can travel alone. On other companies these requirements may vary.
  • Name of guardian responsible for the child at the departure point, address and contact phone number.
  • Name of the person responsible for the child at the arrival point, address and contact phone number.
  • Passport or visa, if required at the destination

As well as allowing us to determine the identity of the person responsible for meeting the child, this also allows us to contact this person if necessary.
Children are taken care of from their arrival at the check-in to handover of the child at the destination airport, and are also accompanied in transit if they have to change flights.

Cost of the service per journey

Domestic flights (except Canary Islands) To Europe, the Canary Islands, the Middle East and Africa (except Luanda) From Europe, the Middle East and Africa to America and Luanda From America and Luanda
30€ 50€ 75€ USD100

The service may be requested when making the booking and will be charged when the ticket is issued except when requested afterward as an additional service. In this last case, the ticket will be re-issued to adjust the rate to the service requested.
Take into account fluctuations in the currency exchange rate when purchasing the service.
Different charges, fees or taxes may apply in accordance with the law in each country.

In addition, the following recommendations should be taken into account:

  • Make bookings more than 24 hours before the start of a journey.
  • Arrive at the airport in plenty of time, in order to complete the documentation required.
  • Provide the minor with an extra copy of the relevant contact numbers at the origin and destination alike.
  • Do not leave the departure airport facilities until it has been confirmed that the flight has taken off.

Finally, please remember that, for the purposes of air transport, only passengers over 16 years of age will be considered as adults for the purposes of accompanying a child(18 years old for Vueling flights) .

Iberia will not accept bookings or tickets for unaccompanied minors (UM's) when companies, including code-share flights (IB4XXX and IB7XXX), are involved in the transport.

More information

Return to top

How can I transport my baby?

When you travel with your baby and you take the pram with you, you have the option of keeping the pram with you until you board the aircraft or checking it in with the rest of your luggage. If you do take it to the aircraft entrance, it may be transported in the cabin when cabin space allows. Otherwise, it will taken by the flight attendants, placed in the hold and handed over at the aircraft door on arrival (where feasible).

If you check it in as hold baggage, it will be collected with the rest of your baggage from the carousels in the arrivals hall.

To make your baby's trip safer, on intercontinental flights and for babies up to 8 months and 11 kg. maximum weight., Iberia has available a certain number of sky-cots.

These skycots, along with the seats for the adult passengers who accompany the infant, cannot be booked online.

To book a skycot please contact the Iberia office in your country, who will inform you if you will be able to book a seat for yourself in the area asigned to skycots.

Iberia, conscious of what travelling with an infant involved, provided the same baggage allowance as for the accompanying adult, as well as a pushchair/foldable buggy, provided they are travelling on an ticket issued at an infant fare.

Return to top

Are there any differences between child and adult tariffs?

Yes, but they will vary depending on the departure/destination point and the tariffs that were applied, although as a general rule we can say that:

Children older than two years and younger than twelve years of age at the moment the flights depart (child) travel paying 50% of the fare on domestic flights (flights within Spain) with full tariff (i.e. without restrictions). If this minor (baby or infant), is to reach his/her second birthday before the end of the journey, you will have to purchase a child fare ticket for the entire journey.

Children that still have not reached two years of age at the moment the flights depart (infant) and that don't occupy a seat pay 10% of the adult fare. These passengers may only travel with an adult.

If you want a child under two years of age (infant) to travel occupying a seat, the child will pay the tariff for children between 2 and 11 years of age (child), and will have to bring an approved child seat to travel in.

In addition, if an adult travels with two babies (infant), one will pay the corresponding (infant) tariff, travelling on the adult passenger's lap, but the second baby will pay the tariff for children between 2 and 11 years of age (child), as they occupy a seat (they must bring an approved child seat to travel in).

For reduced tariffs a percentage will be applied that will depend on the tariff chosen.

On international flights this percentage rate will vary depending on the destination and the tariff applied.

For some special offers no discount will be applied.

Return to top

From what age are passengers considered adults for pricing purposes?

All passengers who, at the time of starting their journey, have reached their 12th birthday.

Return to top

Family Pass: Service for traveling with children in Madrid Airport

This is a pay-to-use service designed to help families enjoy a problem-free start to their trip at the airport. After welcoming you at Barajas Airport Terminal 4, our staff will help you with the steps to take through to reaching your flight's boarding gate.
To that end you may check in at the Business terminals and pass through the VIP Access security control (avoiding queues and waits). If your flight leaves from T4S (satellite building) you will also be accompanied during the train journey.

More information

Return to top

Do minors between 12 and 17 years receive assistance if they travel alone?

Starting from 12 years old, the child is considered an adult for us and can travel alone. On other companies these requirements may vary.

Therefore, Iberia has an assistance and companion service for minors aged between 12 and 17, which has to be requested beforehand. There is a charge for this service and it always requires express request from the parents or guardians.
We recommend that this service is requested when you make the booking and that both the minor and his/her parents or guardians arrive at the airport early.

More information

Please remember that this service may not be requested on IB4XXX, IB7XXX flights, or when the flight includes sections which are flown by other companies.

Return to top

How soon can a mother and newborn baby travel with Iberia?

Iberia permits travel from any time but recommends that premature babies or those less than 1 week old should not travel by air.

Please remember that babies may suffer pain due to cabin pressure changes and that they should be kept well-hydrated.

Return to top

Is it possible to travel with a minor in different cabins (business/tourist)?

Yes you can, but there are other considerations to take into account:

  • The minor must be 5 years of age or more.
  • In the security area, a child will be considered an “unaccompanied minor, UM (from 5 to 12 years old)” which means that you must request the minor companion service. We remind you that there are a limited number of seats for UM's on board, and it may be the case that on the day of the flight there are no free seats left on the plane and specifically, in the cabin desired.
  • As a special case, even though for Iberia the child will be an UM passenger on board and we are responsible for transport, the child's health, welfare and behaviour at all times will be your responsibility.
  • Even if they travel in the tourist cabin, they can access the VIP lounge as companion, if you are an Iberia Plus Gold or Platinum Client.

More information

If the child is 12 or older, the minor does not need any special procedure. You can make the reservation in an individual way selecting the desired cabin.

Return to top

Ask us


    • 00800 1300 81 290
      0900-1800 Mon-Fri Spanish/ English
      Only accessible from a landline phone
    Select other country
Office browser