The only remnants of the stone defensive walls built during the Middle Ages, dramatic reminders of the past
And then there were three
In the early Middle Ages, Munich like all Germanic (and, indeed, European) cities was regularly besieged by bellicose groups like the Swabians and the Alani, so doughty defensive stone walls became de rigueur. Munich's later development and expansion, as well as the receding of these kinds of threats from without, made the mediaeval walls obsolete, and many were torn down. Three, however, yet remain to remind us of the old walled city. Karlstor was originally called Neuhauser Tor, but the name was changed to parallel that of the newly constructed Karlsplatz. Built in 1337, Isartor was severely damaged during World War II but subsequently restore. Sendlinger Tor, dating back to 1318, was built as a departure point for merchants travelling to Italy.