Fortress of El Castillo, Río San Juan
This fort was built by the Spanish Crown in the 17th century, as a means of controlling transport along the river
A spectacular location
The fortress of the Immaculate Conception was conceived as a point of control over Nicaragua's San Juan River, the waterway that connects Lake Nicaragua with the Caribbean. Known as El Castillo, it was constructed in 1675, before the English attacked and established themselves in the Caribbean, and functioned as a lookout point from which travel by merchants and pirates was monitored since the 17th century. It is located a little over 50 kilometres from San Carlos, the capital of the Río San Juan department, from where boats leading to this ancient fortress take off. From its tower, the mythical San Juan River can be seen. The fort was constructed between 1673 and 1675.