And check out that Glockenspiel show!
Right in the middle of it all
The city's central square since 1158 has borne witness to many of Munich's trials, tribulations, and triumphs. Originally referred to as Markt or Schrannenplatz (for the grain sold there), the square was rechristened Marienplatz after a Mariansäule (column honouring the Virgin Mary) was erected in 1638 at its centre to mark the end of the Swedish invasion during the Thirty Years' War. It became a focal point for civic and commercial life, from markets to celebrations to executions, and site of both the old and new city halls. Every day at 11 am and noon, crowds gather in front of the latter to watch the show put on by its Glockenspiel, a 43-bell carillon with two levels of animated lifesize figures.