Monument to the Heroes of the Restoration (Santiago de los Caballeros)
A 20th-century memorial to those who kept the Dominican Republic independent in the 19th century.
A gradiose 70-metre monument in the DR's second city.
Located in the heart of the Dominican Republic’s second-largest city, Santiago de los Caballeros, this monument was a 1953 project of the country’s longtime mid-20th-century dictator Rafael Leónidas Trujillo, who was fond of massive monuments to Dominican history - and of course himself (in fact, its original name was the Monument of the Peace of Trujillo, until after his death it was rechristened in honour of the eponymous 19th-century freedom fighters who resisted Spain's attempt to retake its colony). Seventy metres (230 feet) high, this impressive bit of business is festooned with a variety of motifs of pre-Columbian peoples.