Five naves, countless columns and a Baroque altar define the interior of this temple.
Perfectly white and colonial.
Located right in the center of the city, the perfectly white exterior of Caracas' cathedral displays a certain colonial style. Originally, the land where it stands was occupied by a small church, destroyed by a great earthquake in 1641. Construction then began in 1665, directed by the architect Juan de Medina (although the façade dates from a later period, well into the eighteenth century). Since then, it has been remodeled several times, as in 1933, when the ceiling was replaced with vaults to create a greater sense of height. The interior consists of five naves with columns all around, with a Baroque main altar and the remains of national hero Simon Bolivar's family in a side chapel.