Impressive neo-classical luxury, art collection and library. The second largest in the country.
A symbol of national pride and an authentic representation of democratic values in Uruguay, this building was declared a National Historic Monument in 1975. Inaugurated on 25 August 1925 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of independence, you'll be amazed by its monumental neo-classical architecture, luxurious offices and countless masterpieces by artists such as Pedro Blanes, José Luis Zorrilla or Manuel Rosé, key illustrators in the history of the country. It houses three large halls, legislator offices and a large library with around 250,000 books, making it the second largest library in the country after the National Library. The Salón de los Pasos Perdidos or room of the lost steps is an especially impressive stately room with mahogany and walnut panelled walls and a large skylight. This room has played host to key national events such as the consecration of the poet Juana Ibarbourou as "Juana de América" and the wakes of writers such as Mario Benedetti or, more recently, Eduardo Galeano.