A lively and popular park with fountains, trees and sculptures dating back to the 16th century.
This classic symbol of the city can be found between the Louvre and the Place de la Concorde, and has numerous fountains and a grand central avenue lined with trees and sculptures. The origins of this beautiful park date back to the 16th century, when the Tuileries Palace was designed for Catherine de Medici to be surrounded by lavish, Florentine gardens that would later be re-modelled in the English style. The peculiar name given to both the palace and its garden originates from the former tile workshops (tullies in French) found in this area. Although the palace was destroyed by the Paris Commune in 1870, its gardens have survive to this day. Given its central location, it is always a lively place, popular with tourists and locals alike. The Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel, a triumphal arch linking the gardens with the Louvre, was built by Napoleon.