On downtown's Plaza de España, an impressive and historic landmark indeed
Top Canarian civil architecture
Built between 1559 and 1567, for many, the Santa Cruz de la Palma city hall is the most notable and attractive example of civic architecture in all the Canary Islands. Unsurprisingly located right in the centre of the city, forming one of the edges of the Plaza de España, it impresses right at the outset with its enormous windows, as well as the statue of then King Phillip II, accompanied by the Habsburg coat of arms. Also notable are its arcaded gallery, rounded arches, and murals painted by the artist Mariano de Cossío, from the mainland city of Valladolid, during the early 20th century. This city hall was the first in all of Spain to have been founded by popular suffrage, in 1793.