Bologna's main park
An enchanted forest
Bologna's other major green space besides Montagnola Park, the Giardini Margherita is considered the city's main publIc park, inaugurated in 1879 and named after Margherita of Savoy, the queen of Vittorio Emmanuele II. Count Ernesto Balbo Bertone di Sambuy was commissioned to design the garden and wanted to make this a sort of "enchanted forest" within the city. And so with its varied, lush vegetation, this park has plenty of hidden corners and truly feels a world away from the streets of the city - much like the English public gardens of that era. The park's various paths all lead to a central lake, where at night a disco keeps the young-'uns hopping until well into the wee hours.