Visible from much of the city, the cathedral is particularly famous for its interior frescoes
Towering and old
At Via Indipendenza 7, quite near San Petronio, it's one of the area's oldest churches, documented back to 1028 and built on the foundation of an earlier church. It did go through various periods of renovation and ruin, until reaching its definitive current form in the 17th century. Well known for its gigantic dimensions, from a bird's eye view it towers over the surrounding cityscape and is visible from nearly all parts of the Old Town. Behind its towering Baroque walls are wide naves adorned with famous frescoes including an Annunciation painted by Ludovico Carracci. Another must is the Alfonso Lombardi's terracotta Dead Christ with the Weeping Marys.