An early 18th-century manse with a distinguished pedigree.
A stately example of the Galician Baroque.
This stately manse of pink granite stands in the heart of the old city, near the Royal Galician Academy (the organisation which promotes Galician language and culture). Built in the early 18th century, it's one of the most representative samples of the Galician Baroque, its façade all cantilevered balconies and topped by a pediment with the coat of arms of the Cornide family carved in stone. It was the residence of the historian, geographer and naturalist José Cornide Saavedra (1734-1803), a member of the Royal Academy of History. The building, designed by Francisco Llobet, was used as a cinema in the early 20th century, and in 1962 it was bought by Spain's Ministry of Education and Science and shortly thereafter by the Conde de Fenosa, who registered it in the name of Carmen Polo, wife of Francisco Franco.