Standing out for its façade, this building is one of the finest examples of Baroque architecture in Nicaragua.
The pinnacle of Colonial Baroque architecture
The beginning of the construction of the Iglesia de la Merced dates back to the 16th century, although extensions and structural renovations were carried out well into the 20th century. The church's main facade is an exceptional example of Colonial Baroque architecture in Nicaragua; the main altar features a golden altarpiece from the 19th century, which replaced a Baroque-style predecessor that was destroyed in a fire. The remains of Enmanuel Mongalo y Rubio, a national hero of the 1854 civil war, were interred in the church, before being moved to his native city, Rivas. A chapel dedicated to the Virgin of Fatima was added to the church in 1959.