If walls could talk - a café that has long been an artists' mecca is still going strong.
An indelible fixture of Viennese history.
At Dorotheergasse in Vienna's central Innere Stadt, the Café Leopold Hawelka is less than a century old - it opened in 1939 - but became a famous and indelible part of 20th-century Viennese café society. It had to close for a while during World War II but upon reopening in 1945 gradually became a magnet for the city's artists and intellectuals, reaching its peak of popularity in the 1960s and 70s. It was written about in songs and books, movie scenes were shot here, and hostess Josefine Hawelka, wife of founder Leopold, was muse to many an artist. The café continues to attract artists as well as many others today, and its historic fame is still amply backed up by, among other things, its scrumptious desserts.