Saint Pierre Cathedral
A symbol of Geneva, built in a sober Romanesque style with Gothic and Neoclassical touches, which make it a not-to-be-missed masterpiece.
This Romanesque cathedral was built between 1150 and 1250 on top of a hill in the Old Part and has become the emblematic image of Geneva. Despite its simple lines, this temple shows a nearly perfect combination of Neoclassical and Gothic elements, which make it an essential stop in your visit. It really is worth climbing the 153 steps to the north tower to enjoy, after paying the fee, one of the best views over the lake and even, when the weather is good, of Mont Blanc. During Reformation times, John Calvin adopted the Cathedral as an emblem of the Calvinist spirituality, which avoided the use of images, an idea reflected in its stark interior. The current organs are from 1965; until the 15th century there was no music, due to the fact that it was forbidden by Calvin. In the colourful Chapelle des Macchabees, from the 15th century, there is a profusion of gold contrasting with the red and blue tones of the floor. Under its foundations, one of the most important archaeological sites in Europe was discovered in 1976.