Birthplace of an eminent jurist, now it’s a distinguished art museum and library
Once the seat of civic power, now a cultural powerhouse
Born here in 1182, Francesco Accursio was historically one of Italy's top jurists and legal experts, as well as one of Bologna's most distinguished humanists. The Palazzo d'Accursio in 1336 became the seat of the city's high magistrates and then the city hall, a position it held until as recently as 2008. Today it's home to the city library and the Civic Art Collection, with works from the Middle Ages through the 19th century. There are two details not to miss: the bronze statue of Pope Gregory XIII and the façade including Niccolò dell'Arca's terracotta Virgin and Child.