This church's convenient location has shaped its evolution since its construction in the 17th century
A perfect example of a church and fortress
Founded in 1624 by Benito de Baltodano, a Benedictine friar, this church's convenient location in the city has shaped its evolution in the centuries that followed, as it served as a fortress during various periods of the country's history. Burnt to the ground in 1856, its current appearance is the result of its reconstruction in 1945; it subsequently acquired the apse and dome raised on its presbytery in 1954. Though it was been renovated on several occasions, the church's facade has retained its Colonial Baroque architectural style, making it one of the most eye-catching examples of this trend in the country. Occupying a strategic location during the Colonial period, thanks to its location at the entrance to the city, near Lake Cocibolca, it was used as a fortified church, and was subject to looting, on several occasions.