Its collection of miniatures, from the 16th to the 20th century, shine across all of America.
An exquisite trip back in time.
The large mansion belonging to the family of Errazuriz Alvear, an Argentinean of Spanish origin was declared an Artistic Historical Munument in 1997. It displays objects and furniture, collected by the family throughout the years. The couple lived in France at the beginning of the 20th century, and, upon returning to Buenos Aires in 1916, occupied this Neoclassical residence, designed by French architect René Sergent. The current collection comprises over 4,000 pieces, with particular attention to European and Oriental decorative art, as well as prized sculptures and paintings from the 16th to 19th centuries. Along with the building, the majority of the works were transferred by Errazuriz Alvear to the government in 1935, under the premise of establishing a museum, which would open two years later. Contributions by Countess Rosario de Zubov and Vittorio Asinari di Bernezzo make up America’s most distinguished collection of European miniatures from the 16th to the 20th century. This small and exquisite journey back in time is worthy of such a grand reputation. Make sure to spare some time for a visit to the garden, where you can enjoy an aperitif or a bite to eat.