A metallic framework and columns evoking coffee plants are key features
A neo-Gothic landmark just north of San José
Up in the town of San Isidro de Coronado, some 10 kilometres (seven miles) northeast of the capital in the San José Province shire of Vázquez de Coronado, is one of the country's most important churches, dedicated to St. Isidore the Labourer. Finished in 1935 on the site of an 1880 chapel that was later destroyed by an earthquake, it was designed in neo-Gothic style by architect Teodorico Quirós, who was also responsible for several other Costa Rican churches in places like Aserrí, San Rafael de Escazú, and Ciudad Quesada. It includes a giant metal framework manufactured in Germany by Krupp & Co., as well as enormous stained-glass windows, cross-vaults covering the entire ceiling, and columns inspired by coffee branches.