This small church is a symbol of peace amidst the hustle and bustle of the city.
Religious coexistence in the city.
Chicago, a city of immigrants, has welcomed many different religions throughout its history. Clear evidence of this is the large number of places of worship found on its streets. In the middle of The Magnificent Mile, a first-class shopping area surrounded by skyscrapers, your attention will be drawn to this religious haven which has attracted some 2000 people every Sunday since 1914. Fourth Presbyterian Church, which perfectly combines English and French Gothic styles, is the work of the architect, Ralph Adams Cram, a neo-gothic designer who also designed the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine in New York. The original church was destroyed after the Great Fire of Chicago in 1871 and was rebuilt years later in East Chestnut Street, on the corner of Michigan Avenue, where the first stone was placed in September 1912. This is the oldest building in the area apart from the Water Tower and Pumping Station which survived the terrible fire. For more information go to www.fourthchurch.org