Documentation needed for minors

Check all the requirement you must meet when travelling with children and infants, considering their age and destination.

Documentation required for minors - Before you travel

All passengers 14 and over should travel with a national identification card or passport.

Children under 14 travelling on domestic flights do not have to have one but if they don't, they will have to prove their identity by other means.

The Airport National Security Programme requires compliance with all the previous requisites.

Minors travelling with their parents

If the person accompanying the minor is not a parent or if the minor is travelling alone

Special cases

Purchase Shuttle Service (Puente Aéreo) tickets for minors

To buy tickets for the Shuttle, an ID card or passport must be presented as a means of identification. If the minor is accompanied by their parents, the parents' ID will be sufficient to link them to the child's ticket.

Flights to/ from Mexico

All minors travelling to/from Mexico either alone or accompanied by a person who is neither their parent or legal guardian will need to show a document signed by both parents (or the parent who has custody or the person who has guardianship) before a notary public or the relevant authority, where it states that the minor is allowed to leave the country. If the document is issued abroad, it must be legalised or certified by apostille, as applicable, and accompanied by a translation (if issued in a language other than Spanish). In the specific case of Spain, the police department can issue an authorisation document for these purposes.

Unaccompanied minors traveling from Italy

All unaccompanied minors of Italian citizenship under the age of 14 that are traveling internationally are required to have the Individual passport and a notarized affidavit from the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the child confirming that the minor has permission to travel as an unaccompanied minor.
This document must be signed by the parent(s) or by the legal guardian(s) and authenticated by the Police Headquarters (Questura) and include the name of the airline to which the minor is entrusted.

Children travelling to/from or transitting South Africa

For travel to and from South Africa, all children need to bring various documents, regardless if they travel with both parents, with one parent, with an accompanying adult or alone.

Please ensure you check with your local South African Embassy to ensure you have the correct paperwork for when your child is due to travel. Read more about the new rules for travel to/from South Africa.

Departures from Spanish airports

Guardians or family members of minors under 14 who are travelling alone can access the boarding areas of departures from airports in Spain. Please ask for a Companions’ Card at the Iberia check-in desk. They will only be allowed access to accompany the minor to the boarding gate on the day and time of the flight. The adult companion should carry his/her valid passport or ID to access the border control with the minor.


Children and infants

All the regulations and rules for travelling with infants under 8 months and children up to the time they turn 11.

More information

Minors travelling alone

We offer a special service for unaccompanied children which includes departure, arrival and transit during connections.

More information