Required travel documents

Check the documents you need to fly with Iberia as well as the specific procedures and requirements imposed by the migration and customs authorities of the country you are visiting.

What documents do I need to travel with Iberia?

In accordance with civil aviation regulations, we are required to check the identity of our passengers and verity that it matches the information on the ticket. We therefore ask to see your ID card, passport or driving licence issued in Spain at check-in desks and boarding gates. Anyone who cannot show these documents may be denied boarding. You also need to have any documents required by the authorities of the countries to, from and through which you are going to travel.

If you have Spanish nationality, you can check the official travel requirements for all countries at our link to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (available in Spanish only).
You can also check document and vaccine requirements for different destinations on the official IATA website (available in English only).

Immigration and Customs Controls

Before travelling, check all the documents you need and the specific procedures and requirements of the destination country.

  • Leaving the country:

    Bear in mind the time you will need to check in and go through the passport and security controls, especially in holiday periods. You should have your ticket, boarding pass and documents to hand, and it is your responsibility to have your personal documents in order. Remember, if you do not meet the passport or customs control requirements, you may be denied entry to the destination country.
    Each country has its own restrictions when it comes to taking out a typical product from the country. If in doubt, check with the embassy of the country you are visiting.

  • Connecting flights:

    As a general rule, if you enter a country in the European Schengen Area to travel to another country that is also in that area, you will go through passport control at the first point of arrival and through customs with your baggage at the final destination. If the countries are outside the Schengen area, you will go through both procedures at the end of your journey.
    In the United States you will have to go through immigration and customs with your baggage at your first arrival airport in the country. If in doubt, check at the departure airport where you will need to go through these controls.

  • Arriving at the country of destination:

    The first step upon arrival will be to go through immigration and customs again. Immigration and customs forms are usually handed out on the plane before arrival in the country so that you can save time by filling in the details before you land. If the forms aren't given out on the plane, you can request them on arrival.
    In certain countries, the required visa is obtained at the destination airport, where you will probably have to pay for it in dollars. In some countries you may have to pay airport taxes or a tourist tax.
    Remember, all customs limit the amount of alcohol tobacco and perfume that you can take into the country. Some countries also limit the entry of animals, plants and food.

    Check the other entry requirements for each country in the European Economic Community.
    If you have nothing to declare, look for the “Nothing to declare” sign (it usually has a green background) to exit the airport faster.

What is the REDRESS number?

A Redress number is a unique number that you can request from the US Department of Homeland Security. It is used for problems such as delays and denied boarding by the airline, entering/leaving the US or the repetition of a security check if your name coincides with that of a person on the US watch list.
If you think your name has been mistakenly linked with that of a person on the US watch list and you want to avoid identification problems in the future, you can request a Redress number.

What documents do I need to travel to the United States?

If you are going to travel to or transit through the United States, remember that citizens of the countries included in the Visa Waiver Programme (ESTA) must apply for an electronic travel authorisation. It is advisable to complete the registration procedure at least 72 hours before the departure of the flight departs to make sure you receive the official authorisation in time. We recommend that you carry a printed copy of the authorisation with all your other necessary travel documents.

If you have been to Cuba since 12 January 2021 and therefore have a Cuban stamp in your passport, you will not be able eligible to use the ESTA scheme and will have to apply for a B1 or B2 visa at the Consulate General or Consular Section of the Embassy of the United States in your place of residence.

The number on Spanish passports consists of 9 characters: 3 letters followed by 6 digits. Due to the typography used, the number 0 (zero) is sometimes confused with the letter O, and vice versa. Make sure that you enter all the characters correctly when you fill in the ESTA application.

Ink stamp on exit ticket from Venezuela

In accordance with Venezuelan law, passengers travelling from this country who have purchased tickets directly from authorised airlines (including Iberia) or at a foreign travel agency must have an ink stamp on their ticket.
This is not required if you are travelling with Iberia from Caracas.