Go to contens

We use our own and third party cookies to improve your experience and our services. If you continue, we consider that you accept their use. You can get more information on our website at cookies policy[Open in a new window].


Travel documentsAny questions?

Immigration and Customs Controls

Immigration and customs controls are always carried out on leaving and entering a country. Each country establishes its own regulations regarding the documents and/or visas required for entry and for the import/export of products within its borders.

Leaving the country of origin:
Bear in mind the check-in time as well as the immigration procedures and security controls, especially during the holiday season when airports are much busier.
For security reasons, airports may introduce more frequent and stricter controls of both passengers and their hand or checked baggage, so you are advised to keep your ticket, boarding pass and ID document handy.
Remember, it is your responsibility to have all your personal documents in order, and you may be denied entry to the country of destination if you fail to comply with its basic immigration and customs regulations.
Each country has its own restrictions regarding typical products such as coral, icons, caviar, etc. that you are allowed to take out. In case of doubt, check with the embassy of the country you are visiting.

Arriving at the country of destination:
The first step when you arrive is to go through immigration control and customs again, but this time to enter the country of destination.
You will usually be given the immigration and customs forms on the aircraft before you arrive at the country, so fill them in before you land to save time. If the forms are not given out on the aircraft, you can request them on arrival.
In certain countries, the visa is obtained at the destination airport, where you will probably have to pay for it in dollars. In other countries you may have to pay airport taxes or a tourist tax.

Transit journeys
As a general rule, if you enter a country in the European Schengen area to travel to another country that has also signed the treaty, you will go through passport control at the first point of arrival and through customs with your baggage at the final destination. If the countries are outside the Schengen area, you will go through both procedures at the end of your journey.
In the United States you will have to go through immigration and customs with your baggage at your first airport of arrival in the country.
If in doubt, you are advised to check at the airport of origin where you will need to go through these controls.

Remember, all customs authorities impose limits on how much alcohol, tobacco and perfume you can take into the country. Some countries also limit or even prohibit animals, plants and food. For more information on entering any country in the European Union, click here[Open in a new window]
If you have nothing to declare, go straight to the exit with the sign "Nothing to declare" (usually on a green background) and then you will be free to leave the airport.

Return to top

Passengers with origin/destination USA: What is the Blue lane?

To comply with the requirements of the U.S. Government, Iberia is legally obliged to allow the U.S. Customs and Border Protection access to certain travel and reservation details of passengers with destinations in the U.S.A., flying from the U.S.A. or in transit within the U.S.A. or overflies its air space. These details are used principally to prevent and combat terrorism, organized crime and other serious transnational criminal offences. These details will be verified by the relevant authorities on arrival in the countries indicated, and therefore you are obliged to provide them, and they must coincide with the details that appear in your passport. It is mandatory to complete this information for each of the passengers.

The falsification of these details will cause you to be denied entry to the U.S.A. and Puerto Rico. More information[Open in a new window]

The Secretary of the United States Department of Homeland Security requires all passengers that travel to/via the U.S.A. and Puerto Rico to carry a Machine-readable passport, or in its absence, a conventional passport and an electronic visa. Also, minors who are citizens of countries in the Visa Waiver Program and who are included on their parent's passport, will no longer be able to travel to the U.S.A. with this passport. They will require their own Machine-Readable Passport (MRP).

Documentation necessary for journeys with departure, destination or transit in the U.S.A. and Puerto Rico[Open in a new window]

Return to top

What is the REDRESS Number?

Redress is a solution which avoids future delays for passengers who feel that they have been identified incorrectly, unfairly delayed or who have not been allowed to board the aircraft. Passengers affected tend to have the same or similar name to someone on the United States government's No Fly List.
Remember that there were similar programmes (e.g. the "PIV" and "TIV") prior to the DHS TRIP. These programmes have been consolidated and merged into the DHS TRIP.

More information[Open in a new window]

Return to top

What documentation do I need to fly with Iberia?

Iberia, in accordance with the regulation established by the National Airport Security Committee of the Spanish Civil Aviation Authority, requests all its passengers, regardless of their destination, to present their DNI, passport or a driver’s licence issued in Spain, to verify that their identity matches the information which appears on the ticket and boarding pass.
This documentation will be requested both at the check-in counters (whenever they are used), as well as the boarding gates. In accordance with this regulation, Iberia will deny boarding on the flight to any individual who does not present this documentation or whose identity does not match with their boarding card.

Furthermore, you must be in possession of the documentation required by the laws or authorities of the countries which you are flying to, from, or through. You are solely responsible for complying with all the requirements in each case (passport, visas, DNI).

To help you in the search for this information, we have opened an information exchange channel with the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, where Spanish citizens can find the official requirements necessary for travel to any country.

If you are planning a journey with the U.S.A. and Puerto Rico as your destination or transit point, you must read the following note:

Necessary documentation for travel with departure, destination or transit in the U.S.A. and Puerto Rico[Open in a new window]

You can also consult data by nationality on the documentation and vaccines necessary for your trip on the official IATA[Open in a new window] page (only available in English).

Return to top

Wet seal on ticket upon departure from Venezuela

The Venezuelan Commission for the Administration of Foreign Currencies (CADIVI) requires that passengers who travel from Venezuela and whose plane tickets were bought directly from the airline or from a travel agency abroad must present a wet seal of the airline company. Only tickets of airlines authorised to operate in the country (Iberia is one of them) will be accepted and may be validated before the authorities.
The wet seal is not required on tickets for passengers travelling from Caracas with Iberia.

Return to top

Ask us

Personal assistance