Close window

We use our own and third party cookies to improve your experience and our services. If you continue, we consider that you accept their use. You can get more information on our website at cookies policy.

Documentation needed for minors

Check all the requirement you must meet when travelling with children and infants, considering their age and destination.

Documentation required for minors - Before you travel

All passengers 14 and over should travel with a national identification card or passport.

Children under 14 travelling on domestic flights do not have to have one but if they don't, they will have to prove their identity by other means.

The Airport National Security Programme requires compliance with all the previous requisites.

Minors travelling with their parents

If the person accompanying the minor is not a parent or if the minor is travelling alone

Special cases

Shuttle Service

To buy tickets for the shuttle, an ID card or passport must be presented as a means of identification. If the minor is accompanied by their parents, the parents' ID will be sufficient to link them to the child's ticket.

Identification on international flights

On international flights (European and other countries), as there is no standardised regulation, all minors (travelling accompanied or unaccompanied, regardless of their age) must present their own document, ID or passport, and comply with the requirements of the destination country.

If they travel alone and do not have a passport, their ID must be accompanied by a parent or guardian authorisation formalised in a Police Department.

Flights to Mexico

All minors who travel to/from Mexico alone or accompanied by another person who is not either of their parents or their legal guardian must show a document signed by both parents, the parent who has custody or the person who has guardianship before a notary public or pertinent authority which states that the child is allowed to leave the national territory. When the document was granted abroad, it should be authorised or apostilled, depending on the case, with a translation (if in a language other than Spanish). In the specific case of Spain, the Police have an authorisation document.

Children travelling to/from or transitting South Africa

For travel to and from South Africa, all children need to bring various documents, regardless if they travel with both parents, with one parent, with an accompanying adult or alone.

Please ensure you check with your local South African Embassy to ensure you have the correct paperwork for when your child is due to travel. Read more about the new rules for travel to/from South Africa.

Departures from Spanish airports

Guardians or family members of minors under 14 who are travelling alone can access the boarding areas of departures from airports in Spain. Please ask for a Companions’ Card at the Iberia check-in desk. They will only be allowed access to accompany the minor to the boarding gate on the day and time of the flight. The adult companion should carry his/her valid passport or ID to access the border control with the minor.

You may also be interested in

Children and infants

All the regulations and rules for travelling with infants under 8 months and children up to the time they turn 11.

More information

Hand baggage

It should fall within the maximum standard measurements of 56x45x25cm. so you can carry it with you in the cabin during the flight.

More information

Minors travelling alone

We offer a special service for unaccompanied children which includes departure, arrival and transit during connections.

More information