Children travelling

Check the documents all children need to travel. For children travelling alone, check all the required travel documents as well as compliance with the regulations in the destination country.

What are the requirements for unaccompanied minors?

Iberia treats minors aged 12 and over as adults for the purposes of travelling alone (this may not be the case with other airlines or when travelling to/from countries with different laws).

For children between ages 5 and 11 inclusive, you must book our Unaccompanied minor service. This option is also available for minors aged 12 and over.

This services ensures that children are cared for from the moment the person in charge of them hands them over at check-in at the departure airport until they are handed over to the authorised person at the destination airport, including during transit in the case of connecting flights. Children will be accompanied by our staff at all times to ensure their safety and well-being until they reach the destination.
The person responsible for the child must hand them over in person to the airline, remain at the airport  and be available for contact by mobile phone until the departure of the flight.

The following details will be required: personal details and contact phone number of the child's guardians, both at the departure and destination airports; plus the following form: Mandatory Release of Liability Form
You can download this form and fill it in advance to save time at the airport. You should also make sure that the child is carrying all the necessary travel documents.

At Spanish airports, the guardians or family members of minors under 14 travelling alone are allowed to enter the boarding area on the day and at the time of the flight. Once you have booked the unaccompanied minor service, you will need to request a companion ticket at the Iberia check-in desk. You will also need to show your valid passport or ID card to accompany the child through security control.

Special cases

  • In the US A, the unaccompanied minor service is mandatory for children under 15.

  • The Italian authorities require all children under 14 to be accompanied by an adult. Otherwise, you must book the unaccompanied minor service for children of this age travelling from Italy. Italian unaccompanied minors under 14 (UMNR) must also carry a passport and a sworn statement signed by their parents or legal guardians.

  • Flights to/from Mexico
    All children travelling to/from Mexico alone or accompanied by someone other than their parent or legal guardian will need to show a document signed by both parents, or the parent who has custody or the person who has guardianship, before a notary public or the relevant authority, where it states that the child is allowed to leave the country. If the document is issued abroad, it must be legalised or certified by apostille, as applicable, and translated if issued in a language other than Spanish. In the specific case of Spain, the police department can issue an authorisation document for these cases.

  • Air Shuttle.
    Minors must show their ID card or passport when purchasing Air Shuttle tickets. If accompanied by a parent, their ID card can be linked to the minor's ticket.

What travel documents do children need?

It is important to check all the requirements you need to meet when travelling with children and babies, depending on their age and your destination. Everyone aged 14 and over must carry an ID card or passport. This is not required for children under 14 on domestic flights, but it is advisable because it makes it easier to identify them.

Children travelling with their parents

  • Domestic flights. For parents travelling with children under 14 who don't have an ID card or passport, the authorities may ask to see a document to verify their identity. This could be the Spanish "libro de familia", the minor's individual registration or their birth certificate.

  • International flights (European and third countries). All children must have their own ID card or passport and must also meet the requirements of the destination country.

Children travelling alone or whose companion is not one of their parents:

  • Domestic flights. For children under 14 without an ID card or passport, the authorities may require one or more of the following documents:

    • Notarial attestation with the personal details and a photograph of the child.

    • Authorisation formalised at any police/civil guard station, town hall or notary's office (in person by the father, mother or guardian) on behalf of the person who will be in charge of the child during the trip, which will be checked against the person's ID card or passport.

  • International flights (European and third countries). All children must have their own ID card or passport and must also meet the requirements of the destination country. If they are travelling alone, the passport or  the ID card must be accompanied by a travel consent form signed by the parent or guardian, formalised at a police station. In the case of foreign children living in Spain, their legal representatives must go to the consulate to fill in the necessary documentation according to their national legislation.

If you want to book our unaccompanied minors service, you can check the costs, recommendations and all the necessary information under Children travelling alone.



What is understood by minor?

Iberia considers a minor to be a person who has not reached the age of 18 on the date of travel. Different fares apply according to the passenger's age group:

  • Under 2 years on outward and return flights (INF). Between 30% and 10% of the adult fare, travelling on an adult's lap. The free baggage allowance is the same as that of the accompanying adult and you can also bring a folding pushchair or car seat.

  • 2 to 11 years inclusive (CHD). 50% of the full adult fare (i.e. with no restrictions) on domestic flights. For reduced fares, the percentage will depend on the fare chosen. On international flights, the percentage will vary according to the destination and fare. This discount does not apply to certain special offers. These passengers will occupy a seat on the flight and will have the same free baggage allowance as the accompanying adult.
    For children between ages 5 and 11 inclusive who need to travel alone, you must book our Unaccompanied minors service.

  • 12 and over (ADT). The adult fare applies. These children may travel alone but Iberia offers an unaccompanied minors service. Check fees, recommendations and other details under Children travelling alone.